Monday, November 2, 2009

Jorja's Chili

A couple weeks after I had my baby, my Grandpa Art and Grandma Jorja came over to meet the little guy. Jorja brought a pot of the best chili I've ever had. (Don't tell my dad.) So for Halloween this year, I asked her for the recipe so I could make it for my Halloween party.

In honor of one of my favorite bloggers The Pioneer Woman (who is coming to Salt Lake City on Wednesday as part of the book tour for her new cookbook!), I took some photos of each step to share with you.

2 cups pinto or red beans, raw (I used both because I doubled the recipe)
1 quart tomatoes
1 package Schilling chili seasoning mix (I couldn't find this brand, so I used a generic package)
1 cup ketchup
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp cumin
3 tsp chili powder
1 can kidney beans
salt & pepper to taste
1 lb ground beef
1 red or green pepper, chopped (again, I used one of each)

Soak raw beans overnight. Drain the next morning. Add more water and cook for a couple hours until tender.


Cook onion, hamburger and peppers together.


Give your baby pieces of bread and fruit so he will stop clinging to your leg.


Drain some of the cooking water off the beans. Mix the beans, tomatoes, seasonings, ketchup and hamburger mixture together in a crock pot and cook for 4-5 hours.


Add the kidney beans last. Jorja says you may want to add more tomatoes or water depending on the consistency, but I didn't. I did, however, add a bunch of salt and pepper before serving.

Eat with corn bread muffins (or tortilla chips, or rolls, or any delicious carb of your choice).


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Love the step by step photos, and especially the one of the baby eating in the high chair in the background.
    Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously the best chili I've ever had

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try this at home :)

    ReplyDelete