Friday, November 13, 2009

Guacamole

This week was my turn to host my monthly Bunco group. Lucky me! Usually, when people say, "lucky me," it comes with a hint of sarcasm, but I mean it. I love hosting parties! Because I had informed the girls that we would be playing in what my man and I lovingly call our "adobe basement" (photo taken on the day we moved in, two months ago),


the girls demanded that the food match the environment. I acquiesced to their request by making chicken tacos. When it comes to southwestern fare, I am a big believer of the importance of delicious toppings: black olives, sour cream, and most deliciously, guacamole! Heavenly, avacadoey guacamole. So, for the first, time in my life, I attempted making guacamole from scratch. (After all, is there any other way?) The following recipe comes from The Pioneer Woman's new cookbook, which I highly recommend.


First, dice a bunch of roma tomatoes, white onion, and cilantro. PW recommends equal quantities of these three ingredients, but I had just a bit more tomato than the other two. (I diced 10 tomatoes, 2 large onions, and one bunch of cilantro. I had a large group to feed!)

Then add 1-3 diced jalapenos, juice from 1-2 limes, and a bunch of salt. Toss it all together and taste it using a tortilla chip as your utensil.


And the pico de gallo is finished! Next, we tackle the guacamole. Buy an obscene number of avocados (I bought 12).

Peel and pit them...

Add some salt, and mash them with a fork. Feel free to leave some lumps. No one wants smooth guac. Then, just plop a bunch of your pico de gallo in the bowl and stir.

After several tastes atop tortilla chips, I added some more salt and the juice from one more lime. Then I tasted a few more scoops just to be thorough.


Last step: serve to your friends! We ate it with chips and inside our tacos. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment