Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Harvest


I love Fall cooking. I love the flavors and possibilities that come with the harvest. Last night, I tried a new recipe from the cookbook "Vegetarian Meals" published by Good Housekeeping that did just that: mixed together some delicious Fall veggies with some great flavors. Kids even loved it!

Stovetop Chili

1 T olive oil
3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut
1 medium onion, chopped
1 t sugar
2 T chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
1 can whole tomatoes (28 oz)
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and each cut crosswise in half
1 t salt
2 C water
2 15-oz cans black syobeans (or black beans), rinsed and drained
sour cream (optional)

1. In non-stick 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium eat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Add tomatoes with their juice, green beans, sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, and water; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
3. Add soybeans and heat through, about 2 minutes longer. Serve with sour cream, if you like.


Add a slice of cornbread and you have one heck of a delicious (and healthy!) meal.

MMM

As a side note, I feel I should explain that while I am not strictly vegetarian, I often cook vegetarian meals. I love using spices instead of fat for flavor, and I am always striving to get more fruits and veggies into my family's diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment