Monday, December 20, 2010

Greek Panzanella

Tonight I made Greek Panzanella. I saw Ina Garten make it on her Food Network show, Barefoot Contessa, and I just had to try it. I will be tasting the onions all night, but it was so yummy! Don't you want to give it a try? Let's do it! Here's what you need:


Slice a nice loaf of crusty bread into 1 inch cubes. Toss the cubes in extra virgin olive oil (or butter if you run out of olive oil like I did), sprinkle with a little bit of salt, and toast under the broiler for a few minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.

In the meantime, chop the following veggies into 1 inch squares and throw them into a large bowl:
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 hot house cucumber (slice lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, then chop)
1/2 red onion (I like to slice the onions into smaller pieces)
cherry tomatoes (halved)
kalamata olives (no need to chop these)


Whisk together these ingredients to make the vinaigrette:
1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

This is what it looks like after the first 2 ingredients. Pretty, huh?


Throw the bread cubes and a tub of feta onto the veggies and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Toss it all together. Let it sit for 30 minutes before serving. This is a dish that can be enjoyed at room temperature.


Mmmmmmmm! I think I might have to go sneak a few more bites...

2 comments: