Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rocket Salad

My great friend Becky made a heavenly salad for the baby shower she threw for me two years ago. I gobbled up several helpings that afternoon, and have been making it for myself and my family ever since. It is one of the more flavorful salads you will ever taste, and the easiest to make.

Mix one part lemon juice with two parts olive oil. Add kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Toss this simple dressing with arugula, making sure not to soak the lettuce too much. You want to barely coat the arugula, not drown it. Then sprinkle a generous portion of shaved parmesan over the top and enjoy!

I did this as if to make myself a salad, then added a heaping handful to my smoked turkey wrap. Just turkey, avacado, and this beautiful arugula salad, wrapped in a flour tortilla. The arugula is peppery and fresh. Perfection.

P.S. The name comes from Italy. I was fortunate enough to accompany my grandpa and his new wife to Rome a few years ago, and every meal we ate included, what translated to, "rocket salad." We couldn't figure out what kind of lettuce it was until we came home and discovered it was arugula.

1 comment: